I traveled (alone)




Yes, the rumors are true. I traveled three hours outside of Dublin, by myself. ALL by myself. 

I taxi'd to the train station, all on my own. 

Taxi'd to the other train station because I went to the wrong one, all on my own.

Took a train, all by myself.

Transferred trains, all alone. 

Got lunch at the Curious Cat cafe, ALONE. 

Checked into my hostel, (independently by myself).

Then I did the biggest thing of all:

I WENT ON A 15 MILE HIKE. ALONE.


I visited the Killarney national park last weekend. My hostel advertised that they were 1 minute away from the national park, but what they failed to mention was that the mountains, a part of the park, were FOUR MILES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PARK. So I suited up in my cute hiking outfit with my cute hiking boots and cute rain jacket and cute hiking backpack, then set off four miles to the park.

I began the journey a little unsure because the mountains did not seem to be getting closer. After about an hour of walking along a busy road, I finally entered something that slightly resembled a park of some sorts. I continued for another mile next to a lake until I reached my first checkpoint: the Muckross House. 

I knew that once I got to this destination, I would be close to starting the mountain, and by this point, I was five miles in. I walked another mile to the entrance of the mountain, the Torc Waterfall. 

Now, once I started inclining, I trusted that I got myself on the right hike. But not even one mile in it started to steadily decline. Had I really finished the mountain already? Don't worry. I hiked another mile up and down the side of the mountain until a sign signaled the hike I was looking for. The red trail with a read arrow pointing directly up the side of the mountain. The rocky side of the mountain. 

Tying my boots tight and taking a sip of water, I began mile seven straight up the mountain. I really considered turning back at this point because I was exhaustedly tired. My breathing felt fine, but my poor legs were feeling every giant step up to reach each rocky step and my thighs were feeling the pressure of hoisting myself up onto each one. I acquired a walking stick early into my seventh mile and together we pushed onwards. 

Each step brought a new, incredibly breathtaking, mouthwatering, view of the lake and rest of the mountain range. Miles 7 and 8 were completely up hill, as I keep saying. 

Nothing eventful really happened on the hike besides the mountainside pee break. I enjoyed hiking alone because I could talk and sing to myself. Around mile 8 I switched my music to 80's hair rock and found myself singing along with our favorite hairy men. 

I also like to run on my hikes. If there is a slight decline, I propel myself down those rocks and across the trail, stomping and barreling through the mountain.

I think I reached mile 9 when I finished the red part of the trail, but I still had to get down the rest of the mountain and back to the OTHER SIDE OF THE PARK. Mile ten brought me back to the Muckross House where I was feeling quite ready to give up.

If you're my mom, stop reading here. 

I was contemplating hitch hiking for all of mile ten. It would've been so convenient, but every time I almost put my hand out, I chickened out and decided to walk 5 miles home instead. 

When my hostel was in sight, I almost ran. I walked straight to my bed, clothes right off, and sat my ass down for the first time in 15 miles. 

Now something that my dad likes to remind me (happy 53 birthday day even though he won't read this because he prefers I recount my day then have him read it) is that I do not know how to be out of motion, especially by myself. 

I laid in bed for approximately 40 minutes until I got back up and headed out for dinner. As I was leaving my hostel, a lovely man with round, wired glasses and a pony tail held the door for me. We awkwardly walked in the same direction for five minutes until he introduced himself, and I invited myself to dinner with him. 

As one of the most social people you might meet, kidding, I love making new friends, and I think it's incredibly fun to hangout with strangers that you'll never meet agin. I won't tell you his name until later so I can mimic the way I forgot his name for the entirety of dinner. 

Dinner was really nice. We got Indian food which was absolutely delicious and conversation flowed easily. He told me about his literally fairytale love story with his partner and his life story. I was a little less giving with my personal stories just incase this man was plotting to murder me. 

He amazingly bought me DINNER! which was so kind and caring. He said the money I put to dinner could buy me a plane ticket somewhere, it was very sweet. 

When we got back to the hostel he reintroduced himself as Wes, as he also forgot my name. I went straight to bed then woke up 9 am the next day to start all over.

My new friend Wes and I walked back to the national park and visited Ross Castle. It was cool. Castle ruins are slightly insignificant to me. Like cool, rocks. The stain on the wooden doors were very nice though.

When I met back with Wes at the hostel before we left, I noticed he had one of my favorite books strapped to his backpack. Like hello?? Is this man trying to kidnap me?

I took myself out to lunch for a delicious bowl of vegetable soup and a loaf of bread. It was literally so good I love soup. The rest of my morning was spent journaling at the hostel until it was time to take the train back home.

My trip was so eventful and perfect. I was slightly worried about traveling on my own, especially staying in the hostel, but I successfully traveled, hiked, and hosteled all on my own. 

This was something I wanted to do for myself on this journey of independence that I am on. Getting used to eating on my own and trusting my own instincts has been so important to me. I'm a natural born leader, but I still am so dependent on other people's opinions and reassurance. Learning to trust my intuition and allowing myself to make the decisions that I think are best is apart of this new journey. 

This past week I have been a cooking MACHINE. I cooked soup after soup after cookies after stuffed peppers after skillets after pancakes. I'm making banana bread tonight and tortellini tomorrow. 

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter of my life and am jealous of my independency. Have a lovely time and venmo me money for Merci and I's couple's retreat to Budapest and Prague @julia-digeronimo-1!


Killarney National Park





My Lemon Meringue Pie 


Newt





Ross Castle



My Vegetable Soup








My Indian Food


 









































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary Entry #1

Ciao or Caio?

Mixed Emotions